History Paper Topics for the Students: Make Use of Our Recommendations and Succeed
If you need great history paper topics, you have to get focused on a manageable discipline and choose a particular subject that is of great interest for you and can be divided into three parts.
It is a must to learn everything about the proper paper structure before looking for a perfect topic.
How Can You Make Your History Research Paper on a Certain Topic Excellent?
Have a look at the following examples of how a research paper can have a topic, which would match all the requirements.
- Rise and Failure of Mussolini Regime in Italy (1922-1945)
- There can be three parts of the paper: background of getting political power by Mussolini, the period of his reign and popularity, and his defeat and end of the regime.
- It is possible to apply the mentioned structure for all the topics related to historical and political figures from any country or time period. Replace the last name of the leader, set the needed dates and name of the geographical region.
- For instance, if you want to devote your paper to Napoleon, you can use the same structure and get the following topic: Rise and Failure of Napoleon Regime in France (1804 - 1815).
2. Personality of Joan of Arc and Orleans Siege, France, the 15th Century
- The paper can be divided into three parts: personal characteristics Joan of Arc had, presentation of the historical background for the Siege of Orleans with the explanation of the role Joan of Arc had in the battle, and then showing how all that was happening in the context of France in the 15th century.
- If your paper is about a particular war or important battle, you can easily apply the same structure and tell about the connection a certain historical figure had to it. Note that the whole paper should have a definite focus on the same idea.
- For instance, you are going to touch upon the history of Macedonia and the role of Alexander the Great in it. Thus, it can be like this: Alexander the Great and the Battle of Issus, Ancient Macedonia.
It is easy to generate excellent history paper topics devoted to the roles of certain political and historical figures.
Top Notch History Research Paper Topics
Topics: History of Europe
- What is the main principle of building cathedrals?
- What caused the Boer War?
- Did morality play an essential role in the culture of Medieval England?
- How did the slave trade influence the economy of Europe?
- Which benefits did the art patronage system for the painters in the period of Italian Renaissance?
- What was the role of guillotine in the times of French Revolution?
- What were the principles of the feudal system in Europe?
- What German composer had the greatest impact on the history of music?
- What functions did royalty have in Italy in the 17th century? Explain the Divine Right concept.
Topics: History of the United States
- How can be the concept of social injustice explained through the example of a Triangle Shirtwaist Factory?
- What are the main principles of Mississippi riverboat culture?
- The impact of Mormons on settling in the western parts of the USA.
- What background has automobile drag racing got in the US?
- What is the function of lighthouses in the maritime history of the Great Lakes?
- History of the US National Parks.
- Disputes over the US borders: which state has most of them?
- Impact of the system of highways on the culture of the US.
- What role did traveling circuses have in the mid-west United States in the 19th-20th centuries?
Topics: History of the World
- What were the main Korean War battles?
- Why did the Siege of Turin have the main position in two different wars?
- What is the impact of the Battle of Hochst on the outcomes of the Thirty Years' War?
- How did the First Crusade soldiers live?
- The beginning of the Jaffa Riots in 1921 during the British Mandate of Palestine.
- Shogun: Role in the history of Japan.
- Changes in Buddhism under the conditions of the Chinese Empire.
- Success of the Byzantine Empire.
- Hindu gods: organization and role.
- The Silk Road: history, location, and role.
Topics: Ancient History
- Emperors of Rome at the childhood age.
- Background of the Roman gladiators: lifestyle and history
- Egyptian Pharaohs: impact and role in history.
- The Sphinx: history of building.
- The Code of Hammurabi: main principles and role in history.
- Ziggurats: use in ancient Mesopotamia?
- The common cultures generated in the Nile valley.
- Carthage: origin and history.
- African tribal culture: origin and history.
- The Ancient Maya: traditions and lifestyle.
Good History Paper Topics: Choosing the Best Ones
It is a wrong approach to make the topics excessively broad. For instance, “sport” sounds too broad and no research paper can cover all aspects it covers. It is too vague to be interesting. What kind of sport? Athletics? Skating? Windsurfing? It will be difficult to present the ideas effectively if there is no focus on a specific idea.
Use questions to make the topic narrow. You should know what facts you want to present and do that effectively.
Superb Research Topics for Papers on Ancient History and Early European History
- Greek Olympiad: three key events
- Construction of the Great Pyramid: life conditions for slaves
- Founding of Rome: location, time, and how it all happened
- Defeat of Persia in the Battle of Marathon
- Collaboration between Aristotle and Plato in Philosophy Reinvention
- Victory strategies: Conquest of Egypt by Alexander the Great.
- Construction of the Great Chinese Wall
- Life of Julius Ceasar: Attacks on Britain
- First Invasion of Europe: the history of the Huns
Two Extra Topics
- Arab Invasion of the territory of Spain
- The Era of Hijiri
Making Research Topics Manageable
So, having a broad topic is one of the serious mistakes students make. If the original topic is "Energy", it can be improved via narrowing to "Alternative Energy Sources of the 21th century: Impact of the US Power Companies."
Besides, you can be even more efficient if you choose a topic like, "Three Key US Companies that Serve Customers Using Wind Energy."
Note that if a research topic cannot imply division into three main sections, it should be improved.
Impressive History Research Topics (Chronological Order)
- The Black Death in Europe
- England: Norman invasion
- Roger Bacon’s Legacy: how was gunpowder invented
- William the Conqueror: victory at Hastings
- Origins of the Hundred Years War
- The Spanish Armada: victories and defeat
- Constantinople: history and capture
- Artistic Renaissance in Europe’s: paintings and sculptures
- The sea route to India: life of Vasco de Gama
- Monasteries in Europe: how they were built
17th – 18th Century
- The Blenheim Battle: Role in history
- British East India Company: Role in history
- What were the causes for execution of Charles I
- Restoration of the monarchy in England
- The Great Plague in England
- Defense of the cities: role of the walls
- Convents: life principles and routines
- Glorious Revolution in England
- The French Revolution: background
- Napolean: end of career, life on the Isle of St. Helena
- Death of Nelson: social and political effects
- The Battle of Trafalagar: historical background
- The Reform Bills: key characteristics
- The Battle of Waterloo: how it happened
- X-Rays: important discovery of Roentgen
- Marconi: life and inventions
- Medical technologies and scientific advancements in the 19th century
Making the Topic Narrower
It is recommended to apply the 5-W strategy with the classic questions: What, Who, When, Where, and Why. The topic “energy” is excessively broad, and to make it effective you have to make it narrower and more specific.
What? Looking for alternative power sources
Who? Power companies
Where? In the US
Why? There is an increased demand for power
One of the main rules for making the topic efficient is to make it narrow and specific. There is no good in the topic that covers all the aspects.
Top Notch History Research Paper Topics: 1900-1950
- The Chinese Revolution: origins
- War of Japan with Russia: reasons
- Defeat of Russia by Japan
- Revolution in Russia: Places and People
- Establishing the Republic of China
- The World War I: background
- How did World War I finish?
- The League of Nations: origins
- World War II: How it started
- Turkey as a republic: a new page in history
- The Spanish Civil War: how it all started
- Invasion of Russia by Hitler
- The UNO: background
- President Roosevelt: role in history
- Pearl Harbor: invasion by Japan
- World War II: how it finished in France
- Negative effects of the atom bomb: Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Civil War in China: major events
- Independence of Indonesia: origins
- Ceylon and Burma: origins of independence
- China and Communist
- Role of Japanese Geishas in culture
Division of a History Topic into Three Parts
There are topics, which can be easily divided into three sections. For instance, "Three Key Us Companies that Use Wind Energy in Serving Customers" has obvious three sections in itself. Each of the parts will cover one key US company and its functions.
Outstanding History Research Paper Topics: 1950-1970
- The Bandung Conference: background
- Struggle for independence in Austria
- General Eisenhower: main facts of the presidency
- Death of Stalin: political consequences
- Conquer of Everest: first heroes
- Military Aid Pact: relations between Pakistan and China
- Nationalization of the Suez Canal: role of President Nasser
- First Artificial Satellite of Russia
- Causes for British attacks on Egypt
- France and Israel: relations
- India and the Dalai Lama
- Capture of Tibet by the Chinese
- Union between Syria and Egypt: UAR
- Sputnik: designed by Russia
- Sir Winston Churchill: role in history
- Malaysia: historical past
- Explosion of an atom bomb: role of France
- Yuri Gagarin: role in history of the world
- Independence of Singapore: historical past
- Indo-Pak War: what caused it
- The Tashkent Pact: background
- Russians land on Moon: how it happened
Extra History Topics
- The Suez Canal: how it was closed
- The Arab-Israel war: origins
History research paper topics should not be too complicated; thus, they should be divided into easier ones according to the principle of logic and reason.
Dividing Complicated History Topics
Let us have a look at the topic: “Alternative Power Sources of the 21st Century Developed by the Power Companies of the USA." One of the possible methods of dividing a complicated topic is by the type of alternative power sources.
For instance, the first section will be devoted to the wind power, developed by the US energy companies in 2000. The second section will be devoted to the characteristics of the solar power. The final section will tell about the water and wave alternative energy.
Note that any topic can be divided differently. For instance, this particular one can present three power companies or different approaches to alternative sources.
So, you can change the focus of the research paper topic and divide the sections in different manners.
Awesome Topic for History Research Papers: 1970-1980
- Pakistan: rule of President Z.A. Bhutto
- Bangladesh: origins
- Surrender of 93,000 troops in Pakistan
- Khruschev: consequences of death
- Mahendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev, King of Nepal: background and role in history
- Visit to China by Nixon
- Arab-Israeli wars
- The Algiers Summit: role in history
- Vietnam: aggression of China
- The Seychelles: origins of independence
- Mars landings: Viking I
- Bloody Coup in Afghanistan
- Agreement between Israel and Egypt
- Pnom Penh: how Cambodians rebel
- Cambodia: attack of Vietnam
- Mohammed Daoud: death
- Role of Margaret Thatcher in the history of Great Britain
- Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty: background and consequences
- Chou-En Lai: role in history
- Sheikh Mujibur Rahman: background and incarceration of Prime Minister
- Presidents of Bangladesh: Sheikh Mujibur Rahman,
- Saudi Arabia: King Faisal
- Surrender of the government in Cambodia. Role of the Red Cross